ISSOTL 2015: We will be welcoming Canadians (and whoever else would like to join us) for lunch on Wednesday October 28 in Melbourne at ISSOTL 2015. Look for the Canadian flags in the corner where lunch is served!
ISSUES/CONCERNS FROM MEMBERS: Several people noted how difficult it is to travel during October, especially when the conference is far away, because of the conflict with Fall term teaching schedules.
NATIONAL NEWS: We have a new federal government in Canada, but since education is seen as a provincial responsibility, it is difficult to say whether this will translate into significant changes for the post-secondary sector. Interest in teaching and learning, including SoTL, continues to gain momentum in Canada.
SoTL Canada and the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE)
The national meeting of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE) sold out in 2015 in Vancouver with over 750 delegates. At this meeting, there were 94 SoTL presentations. The 2016 STLHE Conference is schedule for June 21-14, 2016 in London, ON (hosted by Western University, in collaboration with Fanshawe College).
The SoTL Canada Interest group of STLHE is very active (with around 300 members), and is planning Canadian Collaborative Writing Groups for STLHE 2016 (with the papers to be published in the Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning). SoTL Canada is also championing an issue of New Directions in Teaching and Learning that will be coming out this year with chapters exploring institutional initiatives around SoTL from across Canada.
Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
This past June, the Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning published a special issue on “SoTL Through the Lenses of the Arts and Humanities” that may be of interest to members of ISSOTL. There are very interesting papers exploring teaching and learning issues in innovative ways by scholars from a variety of perspectives in the arts and humanities.
Regional SoTL Events in Canada
SoTL conferences and events occur in many regions. Upcoming regional conferences include (but are not limited to):
- November 12-14, 2015, the 6th annual Mount Royal University Symposium for SoTL will occur in Banff, Alberta.
- December 9th and 10th, 2015 – McMaster Research on Teaching and Learning Conference in Hamilton, ON.
- April 2016, the 20th Annual Dalhousie Conference on University Teaching and Learning in Halifax, NS
- April 2016, the annual University of Waterloo Opportunities and New Directions Conference in Waterloo, ON
- April 2016, the annual University of Saskatchewan SoTL Symposium in Saskatoon, SK
- May 2016, the annual University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Conference in Calgary, AB
- September or October, 2016, the Association of Atlantic Universities Teaching Showcase in Saint John, NB (this has been happening annually for 25+ years).
- July 2017, the Biennial Science Education Conference at Western University, in London, ON
Karen Manarin, VP Canada, ISSOTL
Brad Wuetherick, VP Canada, ISSOTL